How to install ArchEX 64bit to a USB stick with persistenceI've discovered a way to install ArchEX to a USB stick and enjoy persistence. I.e. all your system changes will be saved directly on the stick. This is how to do it.
1. Start up ArchEX from the live dvd.
2. Insert a USB stick of (at least) 8GB.
3. Split the USB stick with GParted. One install partition of about 6GB and one SWAP partition of 2GB - see this screenshot.
4. Run the command chmod 755 /usr/bin/archinstall
5. Start up ArchEX Installer. As you can see there are 10 install steps. You shall go through 1 - 8. Skip step 9 and 10.
6. Your root partition will probably be called sdb1. Choose it during step 1. Your SWAP partition will then be called sdb2-
7. Go on and install ArchEX etc. I.e. follow step 2 - 7.
8. Now be careful when you come to step 8 (Bootloader). Choose Grub2 and Grub Install 2) Manual. Run the command
grub-install /dev/sdb - see this screenshot
9. Finally run the command exit (very important!). Grub2 will be successfully installed, even though you will see error messages.
10. Stop the loop by closing ArchEX Installer (Xterm window) and reboot your computer. Change your BIOS settings so your computer will boot up from the USB stick.
You will be logged in as root
automatically (as when running ArchEX live from the dvd).